Honors and Awards
- Fellow, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, 1984 - 1985
- Fellow, Minnesota Supercomputer Institute, September 1987 -
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics
Engineers (IEEE), January 1992 -
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement
of Science (AAAS), September 1993 -
- Outstanding UCSB Computer Science Professor, 1993
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), March 1995 -
- First ITL Infosys Distinguished Speaker Award, 1996
- 2001 IEEE Computer Society's Harry H. Goode Memorial Award, 2001
- "Award of Distinction" for outstanding contributions to computer science,
presented by the Computing Society of the Philippines during the International
Symposium on Parallel Architectures, Algorithms, and Networks (ISPAN'02), Manila, May 2002.
- Philippine-American Academy of Science and Engineering Founder's Lectureship Award in Engineering,
presented at the academy's 21st annual meeting and symposium, Solomons Island, Maryland, August 2002.
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
Invitation Fellowship for Research, Fall 2002.
- Computer Science: From Theory to Practice, a workshop on the occasion of Oscar H. Ibarra's
60th birthday, August 2002, Singapore.
- University of the Philippines Alumni Association (UPAA)
distinguished alumnus award: the 2003 Outstanding
Professional in the field of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science, June 2003.
First P Prize in Membrane Computing, announced
during the 2003 Workshop on Membrane Computing, Tarragona, Spain, July 2003.
Elected member of the European Academy of Sciences (EAS), 2003.
Included in Thomson ISI (Institute for Scientic Information)
database of 230 Highly Cited Researchers in Computer Science, 2003.
Awarded a Nokia Visiting Fellowship to visit
the University of Turku, 2007.
Awarded the 2007 Blaise Pascal Medal in Computer Science from
the European Academy of Sciences.
Elected Foreign Member of Academia Europaea (Informatics Section), 2008.
Awarded a Distinguished Visiting Fellowship from
the UK Royal Academy of Engineering, 2008.