C. MICHAEL COSTANZO
Professional Experience and Education
1987, 1990, 1992, 1994 to present - University of California, Santa Barbara.
Departments of Computer Science
and Geography. Lecturer.
- Instructor - introductory computer science course using Python.
- Instructor - introduction to problem solving using C.
- Instructor - intermediate problem solving using C++.
- Instructor - intermediate object-oriented computing using C++.
- Instructor - intermediate software engineering courses, concentrating
on object-oriented analysis and system design.
- Instructor - introductory computer programming class using
- Instructor - introductory course in programming and computer
- Instructor - intermediate programming seminars focusing on Java and Fortran
as a second computer language.
- Instructor - intermediate courses in programming methods, focused on implementing
data structures with Java and C.
- Instructor - introductory course in C, C++, and Unix.
- Instructor - introductory course in human geography.
- Instructor - intermediate course in decision-making and
- Instructor - advanced course in urban and regional modeling
- Instructor - survey course of issues, theory, and methods
related to urban geography.
- Instructor - regional geography of California.
2004 to 2005, 2008 to 2014 -
Cardno TEC, Inc.. Senior Economist.
- Economist - economic impact assessments of Naval Air Station Lemoore and
Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, California, and Naval Air Station
- Economic analyst - economic impacts of Joint Strike Fighter basing
alternatives, USMC bases in North Carolina, South Carolina, California
and Arizona, plus USAF bases in Utah, Idaho and South Carolina.
- Economist - socioeconomic impacts of commissary at housing complex for mountain
warfare training center, Bridgeport, California.
- Economic analyst - economic impacts of road construction for base
housing, Naval Weapons Station Earle, New Jersey.
- Economic analyst - economic impacts of increases in recruit training
and associated construction, Marine Corps Recruiting Depot Parris Island,
- Economic analyst - economic impacts of strength increases, three
USMC installations in North Carolina.
- Economic analyst - economic impacts of marine terminal redevelopment,
Port of Anchorage, Alaska.
1993 to 2010 -
Costanzo Associated Consultants.
- Demographic analyst - annually-updated population forecasts for Orange,
Santa Barbara, and Ventura Counties, California.
- Quality of life analyst - annual series for Ventura County, Santa Barbara
County, Santa Clarita Valley, and Antelope Valley, California.
- Survey administrator and data analyst - demand study for Bermant Development Company
proposed housing project, Goleta, California.
- Database manager and co-author - economic forecast studies of 58 California counties.
- Senior scientist - economic forecast studies for Goleta, Santa Ynez
Valley, and San Luis Obispo County, California.
- Economic analyst - fiscal and economic analysis of proposed Mission
Jonata Village business park in Buellton, California
- Project manager - assessment, identification and survey study
of defense downsizing and emerging industries in Santa Barbara
- Socioeconomic analyst - impacts of constructing and operating a
new 500 MW power plant in Burney, California.
- Economic analyst - costs and benefits of assistive devices for the disabled:
case of "talking signs" in Santa Barbara, California
- Project manager - demand analysis for proposed Pacific Ag Expo in Oxnard, California.
- Socioeconomic analyst - impacts of disposal and reuse of
McClellan AFB, California.
- Study advisor - economic impacts of alternative fuel source
requirements in California.
- Principal investigator - socioeconomic impacts of Air
National Guard mission transfers in Georgia.
- Socioeconomic analyst - impacts of disposal and reuse
activities at Naval Training Center, San Diego, California.
- Principal investigator - consumer surplus impacts of the
American Trader oil spill in Huntington Beach, California.
- Economic analyst - economic impacts of Mobil's Clearview
project in Santa Barbara County, California.
- Economic analyst - economic effects of renewing the Lake
Cachuma contract on various jurisdictions in Santa Barbara
- Principal investigator - affected socioeconomic environment
relevant to realignment activities at McGuire AFB, New Jersey.
1999 to 2000 - Santa Barbara Business College. Teacher.
- Instructor - introductory course in Java programming.
- Trainer - expert use of Microsoft Excel.
1983 to 1993 - Robert D. Niehaus, Inc. Manager, Regional
- Project Manager - family housing market analyses for
Peterson AFB and Air Force Academy, Colorado, Elmendorf AFB
and Eielson AFB, Alaska, and Altus AFB, Oklahoma.
- Project Manager - computer model development of construction
resource requirements systems for the Air Force Center for
- Principle Investigator - socioeconomic impacts associated
with the disposal and reuse of Chanute AFB, Illinois, and
George AFB, Mather AFB, and Norton AFB, California.
- Principle Investigator - socioeconomic impacts of National
Aerospace Plane (NASP) environmental impact analysis
- RDN Project manager and task leader - economic impacts of
sportfishing in Southeast Alaska.
- RDN Project manager - economic, demographic, education and
public finance impacts of Electronic Combat Test Capability
at Utah Test and Training Range.
- RDN Project manager - economic, demographic, and public
finance impacts of New Production Reactor at Savannah River
Site, South Carolina.
- RDN Project manager - socioeconomic impacts of
Superconducting Super Collider (both the site selection EIS,
covering sites in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan,
North Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas; and the supplemental
EIS for the Texas site).
- Discipline team leader - socioeconomic impacts of
exploratory drilling offshore California for numerous EIRs.
- Economic analyst - regional input/output model of Portland,
Oregon area for impact study of proposed convention and
- Programmer and technical writer - spatial allocation model
and documentation for assessing local area effects of
offshore oil and gas development in California.
- RDN Project manager and task leader - economic impacts of
sportfishing in southcentral Alaska.
- Project manager and senior analyst - socioeconomic impacts
of super speed ground transportation system between southern
California and Las Vegas, Nevada (Phase II study).
- RDN Project manager and programmer - recreation and tourism
impacts model of outer continental shelf oil and gas
activities offshore California.
- Economic analyst - forecasts of international trade and
related effects in southern California.
- Production manager and senior analyst - socioeconomic
impacts of oil and gas development plans offshore California
for two major EISs.
1985 - URS Company. Senior Analyst.
- Economic analyst - feasibility study of third party
financing and operation of visiting officers quarters at
Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
- Economic analyst - specification of generalized procedures
for evaluating relative economic, safety, and historical
preservation merits of alternative financing methods for
military construction projects.
1980 to 1983 - HDR Systems. Programmer and Geographer.
- Geographic analyst and programmer - automated regional
socioeconomic analysis system and related documentation for
the U.S. Air Force.
- Geographic analyst - environmental impacts of M-X in Nevada,
Utah, Texas and New Mexico.
- Programmer - comprehensive management information system to
track costs and forecasts of major scientific research
1979 to 1984 - UCSB Geography Dept. Research and Teaching
- Author - numerous academic publications on statistical
analysis, particularly of criminal justice data.
- Statistician and programmer - numerous academic projects
concerning criminal spatial behavior, and spatial behavior
- Lecturer - both beginning and advanced computer programming
- Teaching assistant - introductory geography, issues in
planning, and statistical methods.
Ph.D., Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1985.
M.A., Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1981.
B.A., Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1979.