COMPUTER SCIENCE 165B
March 7th, 2008: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT IN-CLASS
PROJECT PRESENTATIONS ON WEDNESDAY MARCH 12th.
During our last regular class on Wednesday March 12th,
each member of the class will be expected to give a 4-minute presentation
on their term project. A separate presentation will be expected from those
who worked with other people on the same project. Don't worry if
you won't have your project finished by that time, just give a progress report.
What I'd like each presenter to include in their talk
(and this is not an exclusive list...please feel
free to talk about other things):
- Your topic and why you chose it.
- Your problem, your approach, your solution.
- Your findings and main conclusions.
- What additional things you'd like to find out about the topic.
- What you learned.
- A small demo, if possible (bring a laptop if this will be useful,
but please remember that set-up times can be a real problem.)
Please remember that 4 minutes goes very fast when you're in front of a group.
I think that such talks/demos are of great value to both the presenter and the whole
class. It turns out that class time on Friday is the only time in which this
could be scheduled.
- February 28th, 2008: HOMEWORKS 6 and 7: Apologies for the errors in the homework schedule. The homeworks have been updated. The problems in Homework 6, now due on 7th March, are from Chapter 10 ( learning Rules.) Homework 7, still due on 14th March, has questions from Chapters 11 and 12.
- February 21st, 2008: The midterms have been graded and can be picked up from Tyler's office during office hours. If you cannot make it to the office hours, please send and email to Tyler.
The average grade is 109/130.
- January 18th, 2008: Please recall that Monday 21st January is a
University holiday (Martin Luther King Day) and there will be no classes.
This is also the case for Monday February 18th (Presidents Day.)
- January 16th, 2008: The number and dates of turn-in times for homeworks has been changed,
but the number of problems assigned has not increased.
- January 8th, 2008: Powerpoint versions of the lecture notes may be found at
CS165B Lecture Notes (powerpoint version)
- January 8th, 2008: Homework turn-in will be in the homework box marked "CS165B"
in the room with xerox machines (Second floor, Engineering I).
- January 8th, 2008: The midterm exam is scheduled for Wednesday 13th February.
- January 8th, 2008: The Course Project is due at the time of the final examination.
- January 8th, 2008: The final exam is scheduled for Tuesday 18th March, 4:00-7:00pm
If you have trouble accessing the files in a terminal window
or from your browser inside UCSB, send an email to