CS 240A: Applied Parallel Computing
Winter Quarter, 2013
Class schedule: Mon/Wed. 11:00AM-12:50pm Phelp 2510
- Instructor: Tao Yang (tyang at cs). Office Hours:
MW 10-11(or email me for appointments or just stop by my office). HFH building, Room 5113
- Supercomputing consultant:
Kadir Diri and Stefan Boeriu
- Teaching Assistant:
- Wei Zhang (wei at cs). Office hours: Monday/Wed 3:30PM - 4:30PM at CSIL.
This course covers high-performance
parallel/distributed computing systems and applications on modern computers. Topics include
We will cover basic concepts and study recent technical papers in these areas.
The expected work includes a class project/presentation, homework assignments,
and an exam (most likely take-home).
- Parallel architecture and clusters.
- High performance computing and memory hierarchy.
- Patterns of parallelism and program transformation.
- Parallel and distributed programming. Threads, OpenMP, MPI, and MapReduce. GPU programming if time permits.
- Parallel algorithms for numerical computing, data mining, and search.
- Performance and parallelism in storage systems, Internet services and cloud systems. High throughput computing.
Last modified: 1/2/2013