Zhaoxia (Summer) DengContact: zhaoxia at cs dot ucsb dot edu
I am a 5th year Ph.D. student in the Computer Science department of UCSB. I am advised by Prof. Fred Chong and work on multiple topics that generally lie in computer architecture and system area, including novel memory technologies, approximate computing, hardware security, etc. In my work, I exploit statistical methods and machine learning techniques to guide the novel architecture design in order to achieve the desired statistical properties of the architectures with respect to security, memory lifetime, system performance, energy efficiency, etc.
I am currently in the job market and actively looking for research and engineering positions in industry! Please feel free to contact me if you are interested! :-)
- 2012-present Ph.D. (GPA: 3.96/4.0)
Computer Science, Universty of California, Santa Barbara
Thesis: A Statistical View of Architecture Design
- 2006-2010 Bachelor's Degree (GPA: 91.6/100, Rank: 4/254)
Software Engineering at Shandong University, Shandong, China
- Lemonade from Lemons: Harnessing Device Wearout to Create Limited-Use Security Architectures,
Zhaoxia Deng, Ariel Feldman, Stuart A. Kurtz, Frederic T. Chong.
The 44th International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), 2017, Toronto, Canada.
- Herniated Hash Tables: Exploiting Multi-Level Phase Change Memory for In-Place Data Expansion,
Zhaoxia Deng, Lunkai Zhang, Diana Franklin and Frederic T. Chong.
The International Symposium on Memory Systems (MemSys), 2015, Washington, DC. [slides]
- Quantum Rotations: A Case Study in Static and Dynamic
Machine-Code Generation for Quantum Computers,
Daniel Kudrow, Kenneth Bier, Zhaoxia Deng, Diana Franklin, Yu Tomita, Kenneth R. Brown, and Frederic T. Chong.
The 40th International Symposium on Computer Architecture(ISCA), 2013, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Reduced-Precision Memory Value Approximation for Deep Learning,
Zhaoxia Deng, Cong Xu, Qiong Cai, Paolo Faraboschi.
HPL-2015-100, HP technical report.
- Memory Cocktail Therapy: A General Learning-Based Framework to Optimize Dynamic Tradeoffs in NVMs,
Zhaoxia Deng, Lunkai Zhang, Nikita Mishra, Henry Hoffmann, Frederic T. Chong.
Greater Chicago Area Systems ResearchWorkshop (GCASR), 2017, Chicago.
- Statistical program analysis assisted cost-effective sampling in large scale scientific simulations,
Zhaoxia Deng, Snehasish Kumar, Brian Drawert, William N. Sumner, Arrvindh Shriraman, Alberto-Giovanni Busetto, Frederic T. Chong.
Greater Chicago Area Systems ResearchWorkshop (GCASR), 2016, Chicago.
- 12/05/2015~12/06/2015: Attending the CWWMCA workshop with Micro-48 at Waikiki, Hawaii.
- 06/22/2015~09/23/2015: Doing my summer internship at HP Labs, Palo Alto, California.
- 06/13/2015~06/17/2015:Attending the 42nd International Conference on Computer Architecture at Portland, Oregon
- 06/08/2015~06/11/2015: Attending the 29th International Conference on Supercomputing at Newport Beach, California
- Turing 50th conference scholarship 2017
- CWWMCA student travel grant, 2015
- ISCA student travel grant, 2015
- Holbrook Foundation Fellowship, 2012
- National Excellent Student Award, 2008
- First Level Scholarship in Shandong University, 2007-2009
- Scientific Innovation Scholarship in Shandong University, 2008
- 2012 Fall: CS 24 Problem Solving II
- 2013 Winter: CS 8 Introduction to Computer Science
- 2013 Spring: CS 170 Operating System